Insurance is paying – a certain small loss – a premium in exchange for recovery of a large potential loss. Most people try to calculate how they can turn insurance into an investment. Unfortunately, the insurance industry sometimes confuses the real goal with the profit-to-payer goal; in other words, an investment where you get something back. […]
This short article summarizes The 7 Top Home-Buying Mistakes You Should Avoid – Forbes (by Kate Ashford). Mistakes: 1) Buying when planning to move again soon. 2) Buying more than the budget can support (see step 4). 3) On top of #2, forgetting about other ownership costs (not to mention costs of moving and making the […]
Inheritances gone amuck. What went wrong where the State ends up with the goods and financial assets instead of the rightful heirs? Even more astounding is when the State gets stuff and money even when the owner is still alive! How’s that happen?! In short – carelessness, forgetfulness, and for many financial assets, lack of account […]
Military One Source has a webpage that lists numerous programs for those on active duty or have served in the military. “Military OneSource is provided by the Department of Defense at no cost to active duty, Guard, and Reserve service members (regardless of activation status), and their families. It is a virtual extension of installation services. […]
In the arena of personal finances, you are at constant threat of scams and theft. The most common ingredient is an attempt to appeal to your emotional greed … or your emotions in general about money. Simply a fundamental truth that if it is too good to be true, or just good enough of a story to be true, it may […]
Something a bit different and I hope interesting is our English language and Regional Dialects. You may explore these links at your leisure. We are the same, yet different. Understanding people puts us another step towards working together. Where does your accent and dialect come from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English National Map. http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html How about accents in the […]
Search The Site
About Larry Frank Sr.
As an MBA and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, I help people make sensible plans for a successful retirement. I'm also the author of Wealth Odyssey, a book about financial planning. My retirement planning research is published periodically in the Journal of Financial Planning.
Have a Financial Question?
- Are market returns really the key to your portfolio value? February 27, 2012
- Rebalancing? How does it work? March 4, 2012
- Resources to help with aging issues August 9, 2012
- The Dividend Income Illusion. March 27, 2013
- How do Safe Withdrawal Rates compare to Dynamic Retirement Income? June 20, 2014
- Why you may get different numbers -The Mathematics of Investing. February 22, 2017
- The cost of indexing – and an approach how to reduce those costs February 8, 2017
- Social Security as Longevity Insurance January 25, 2017
- Investor Discipline – What’s that? January 11, 2017
- You don’t need a scanner anymore January 5, 2017